Monday, November 16, 2015

Oh.... boy....


(Warning: If you get weird about the word "penis" I encourage you to stop reading)

Let me just be clear... I pretty much KNEW we were having a boy since I got pregnant. I mean, the "Zufelt gene" statics have been Girl-Boy or Boy-Girl pretty consistently across the board. But you never know... maybe we could have been having another girl? But no. No no no. The day we got back from Disneyland my blood test confirmed what we already knew- BOY! Can I just say that I have never seen my husband more excited OR motivated about decorating... EVER? I swear the very next day he was talking about how we would be doing baby boy's room. 
But... HOLY CRAP
We're having a freaking boy
I have to admit, even though I KNEW it, it's real and I'm freaking out a bit
You see, I don't do the "penis thing" well
Ok, that sounds bad but penis' are just weird
I come from a family of girls
I have 3 sisters
My mother was a single mom for forever
My sister had 2 girls as the first grandchildren
But when my sister got pregnant with her first son... I freaked out a little bit!
Our family motto had been "NO TAILS!" (From my niece) 
I mean, what would we DO with a boy?!
I still don't know... 
But I have now seen my fair share of penis' and it just doesn't phase me like it did the first time I saw one that wasn't my husband's (I know, TMI!).... 
It's just a body
Another TMI but the first time we did a catheter in clinicals was OF COURSE on a male... and guess who got to hold the penis steady? Me. Of course it would be me. And all of my classmates got a kick out of it. 
And the majority of catheters I have done have been on males. har-di-har-har
But I really had no experience changing boy diapers until recently (and I DO NOT feel skilled at it at all)
In fact, once I was babysitting a little boy and had my friend come help me to make sure I did it correctly 
Also, during our labor and delivery rotation all the babies were girls
BUT I did get a rotation in the NICU during my capstone and I took care of both BOYS and GIRLS so I feel a bit more skilled in the diaper area- but not much. 
When we found out we were having a boy the things I freaked out to Devin about where:

-Erections. I hear even littles get them!? What the heck? 
-Wet dreams (these 2 are funny because I know Devin freaked out about bra's and periods when we found out we were having a girl the first time) 
-Scouts (I refuse to be "Den mother" or a Webelos leader)
-Dating! (although I am afraid of this for both of my kids) Not liking anyone my son dates because let's be honest little girls can be dramatic and terrible
-Teaching him to do manly things that men should know! (Luckily my husband is a manly man and can teach him all those things...)
-Circumcision! I totally believe in it and we will totally do it but I cannot be there for that. That's all Devin. 
-Potty training a freaking BOY!? 

I have never ever seen myself as a "boy mom". I don't understand little boys and their love of dirt, and cars, and... what else do boys like? Super heroes? I get baby dolls and accessories and dress up! I still don't know how I'm going to do this- the whole "boy thing". But I guess I will just have to figure it out and not just be a "boy mom"... I'm going to be THIS BOY'S MOM! 


5 comments:

diane capanna said...

Whitney, you will do just fine!!! you will learn the skill of raising a boy...I did. i love dolls and dress up too, but I also learned to let the boys play in the dirt, learned to be excited over bugs, I got to know all the names of the GI Joe action figures (not dolls, but action figures). I've joined the ranks in the love of trucks, cars, trains and anything with wheels. I enjoy their projects and I can write a book on the other side of the boy coin on dating! I taught our boys the art of girl games and manipulation... the dating part is scary. I can go on and on....I have become a professional in raising boys/men. You can always call me, anytime! you will enjoy the ride, but hang on! Anytime you get mooned by your son at any age, what it really means is "I love you Mom"!!!

Alison said...

You are going to call so in love with being a mom to a boy. Of course, I don't know Devin personally, but he seems to be super sweet, and thoughtful. I can imagine your son to grow up to be the teenager that holds the door open for women while his friends tease him about it - I witnessed that happening last week when a young man held the door open for me at Starbucks, and I was saying to myself that he probably has a wonderful mom, and dad that taught him how important it is to be polite. You can still cook with boys too, so maybe that's a place for you to start realizing all the things you do know how to do with boys.

Alison said...

You are going to call so in love with being a mom to a boy. Of course, I don't know Devin personally, but he seems to be super sweet, and thoughtful. I can imagine your son to grow up to be the teenager that holds the door open for women while his friends tease him about it - I witnessed that happening last week when a young man held the door open for me at Starbucks, and I was saying to myself that he probably has a wonderful mom, and dad that taught him how important it is to be polite. You can still cook with boys too, so maybe that's a place for you to start realizing all the things you do know how to do with boys.

Karaleigh Garrison said...

As a mom to a little girl first and then to two boys, and on top of that currently potty training my nonverbal autistic 4 year old boy...I can tell you some things!! First of all, boys love their mamas! People told me that, but it really is true. Both of my boys follow me wherever I go in the house but Aurora couldn't care less. If I sit down to fold laundry, they are in my lap (while Aurora is off playing with her dolls or something). Also, boys are rambunctious! I'm told this isn't necessarily true of all boys, but from what I've seen it holds true. They are more interested in constant rough and tumble than girls are and just have more energy and are more daring. My boys are both fearless climbers and Aurora never was. They are tricky and smart and figure out so many ways to get in trouble, all in the name of exploring! You will get used to the penis but probably not ever get used to the baby errections. They are challenging but definitely worth it, and of course you will fall hopelessly in love with him the moment you see him : )

Karaleigh Garrison said...

As a mom to a little girl first and then to two boys, and on top of that currently potty training my nonverbal autistic 4 year old boy...I can tell you some things!! First of all, boys love their mamas! People told me that, but it really is true. Both of my boys follow me wherever I go in the house but Aurora couldn't care less. If I sit down to fold laundry, they are in my lap (while Aurora is off playing with her dolls or something). Also, boys are rambunctious! I'm told this isn't necessarily true of all boys, but from what I've seen it holds true. They are more interested in constant rough and tumble than girls are and just have more energy and are more daring. My boys are both fearless climbers and Aurora never was. They are tricky and smart and figure out so many ways to get in trouble, all in the name of exploring! You will get used to the penis but probably not ever get used to the baby errections. They are challenging but definitely worth it, and of course you will fall hopelessly in love with him the moment you see him : )