Tuesday, September 15, 2015

On Nursing...

If you didn't see Miss Colorado (Kelly Johnson) do a monologue for her talent- go watch it. It made me cry. It's about being "just a nurse". Watch that before you read the rest of this. Today, on The View (which I DO NOT watch- but I did see this...) Miss Colorado was made fun of for appearing on stage in her scrubs with her stethoscope. They called it a "Doctor" stethoscope. I love this reply by Hilary Helkenn. She said,

{Last day of OB clinicals}


"For the last 20 years, I have put it on (her nurse uniform) and bravely walked into hospitals to care for the ones you love. See my stethoscope? It is a NURSE stethoscope too. I use it to listen to a child's lungs, so I can quickly get them to the appropriate level of care, reassuring both child and parent. I also use it to listen to our elderly loved ones, who sometimes have aging hearts that go into abnormal rhythms. It is the NURSE that usually sees the patient first, and it is often the NURSE that notifies the doctor of what is going on. I have helped to deliver babies, and I have held the hands of the elderly as they left this world. I love the physicians I work with, & I have the utmost respect for them, but it is often the NURSE you meet first and the NURSE that is the one responsible for your care. Your comments denigrated our most noble profession. You owe all of the nurses of this world an apology."

Can I get an AMEN. 
{Last day of Quarter 3 Simulation Lab}

There is a lot I could say about being a nurse. To be honest, I didn't really know the extent of what I was getting into when I started nursing school. Now, a few days away from graduation- I can tell you more.
I can tell you that the ONLY time I have EVER seen doctors on my rotations are during rounds or a minute or two before a baby was born. During my first code blue, it was the nurses who were doing CPR and pushing the life saving meds and running the code while the doctors stood by and watched. (This is not a doctor bashing post- I love doctors and I have a high respect for them!) Yes, I use my stethoscope ALL. THE. TIME. As nurses we have a ton of medical knowledge so please don't treat us like we are stupid just because we aren't doctors. A lot of the time doctors consult us on what we should do next for our patients as we KNOW our patients. We are the ones that will always be there. Always. We will be there if you just had surgery and you can't get up to use the bathroom. We will be there if you just had a baby and you aren't quite sure what to do. We will be there when you are getting chemo, or dialysis. We may even be there to hold your hand during the hardest and most trying days of your life. Nursing is a 24 hour a day job and we take care of everything from the brand new to the end of life. To have someone make fun of a profession that is so highly regarded is rude, uneducated, and downright unkind. If you don't know the scope of a nurses practice OR have never needed one- then thank goodness for that! But one day, you might need us. You might and you might wish that you had shown more respect for those of us who don't go pee during our 12 hour shift. Who STAY to make sure YOU are taken care of before we leave. Who don't get a lunch break because we were too busy sitting with you and holding your hand when you got the news that your tumor hasn't shrunk. The world needs nurses. And I am so proud that I will be one of them.

To my baby nursing students- Nursing school has been one of the hardest things I have done. I would be flat out lying to you if I said it was easy and that anyone can do it. So many tears have been shed. So. Many. Tears. Yes, I have wondered if I am doing the right thing. I have wondered if I will be as good as I need to be. But I MADE IT. The best advice I got was from my mom, she said, "It's ok to cry and have a pity party- but just don't live there." So, if you need to cry- that's ok. Just move on! And keep going! You can do it! 

Can I add this too? I guess I can because it's my blog:
To the women (and maybe even the men) who look down on me for going to school and allowing other people to watch my daughter for me- shame on you.
SHAME ON YOU. 
I feel so often women look at me and pity me or feel like they are above me because they stay at home with their babies and because motherhood is the highest calling there is. I know it's true. I know it is because there have been comments made in front of my face about how LUCKY other women are to be able to be at home and that it is SUCH an honorable thing to do with their time. I agree. It is. But I am no less of a mother than you are. Staying at home doesn't make you a better mother just like going to school/working doesn't make me a better one. There is more than one type of good mother. I repeat: THERE IS MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF GOOD MOTHER. To the women who feel sorry for me, don't. I chose to do this. And I believe I will be a better person because of it. So, stop trying to make me feel like less of a mother because I go out and take care of other people's family members while they are sick and/or dying. I refuse to believe that what I do, isn't noble. 


I cannot imagine a more Christlike profession. 

End. Of. Nursing. Rant. 



1 comment:

Afton Brinkerhoff said...

I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to school to get into nursing. It's always been a passion of mine , and something I've wanted to do. I keep freaking myself out though. I don't know if I can do it. I love reading all your nursing posts!!