Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Building a Wardrobe: Shoes

Shoes are one of my absolute favorite things. Ever. Have you ever seen the movie, "In Her Shoes"? There is a scene in there when one of the characters says, "When I feel bad, I like to treat myself. Clothes never look any good. Food just makes me fatter. Shoes always fit." That. Is. Poetry.
Shoes always fit. 
I am a huge fan of killer shoes. HUGE! It is my bread and water. Absolutely essential. Here's the thing about shoes. They are probably the biggest investment in your wardrobe because THEY WILL LAST THE LONGEST. And BONUS they can be resoled, polished, and generally well kept. If there is one thing I can tell you about buying shoes, it's the same thing I have said for all the other posts- invest in quality. No, I am not saying to go spend $300 on a pair of Louboutin's (Yes, I know they are way more than that but I found some at a Barney's outfit for $300 and seriously considered buying them... but I didn't) because that is just not realistic for the majority of people in the world. My favorite place? DSW. And I WATCH the shoes I want and I wait for a coupon or for them to go on sale. (I am all about saving money and not spending full price on ANYTHING!)

So, here are the shoes you need in your arsenal.
-Black pumps: You will always need these. Always. I wear mine in every season with everything from jeans to skirts to dresses. 
-Nude pumps: If Kate Middleton has taught you anything, it's the value of a nude pump. That girl lives in hers and so do I. 
-Black flats: Again, something I wear in every single season. In the summer I usually swap these out for a flat black sandal. 
-Nude flats: Just like your nude heels these will be super versatile and a huge wardrobe asset. 
-*Red heels: If you have ever heard Kelly Pickler's song "Red High Heels" you will know exactly why you need these. You can omit these if red just isn't your thing but at least promise me you will try some on. I am telling you, a women in red heels can conquer anything!  
-Black or brown tall boots: FALL! I live in these during the fall and winter. If you don't already have a pair, start with a brown pair. I have had mine for.... 5 years and they still look awesome. 
-Casual sneakers: Because who doesn't love being comfortable? Converse are great and I am completely in love with New Balance's lately. You can dress them down with boyfriend jeans and a white top OR wear them with a cotton dress.

If you live in a colder climate for part of the year (like myself), I highly recommend investing in some Hunter Wellies. I wear them when it's snowing outside and icy. I have never slipped once! And BONUS you can purchase boot liners that are totally awesome and super warm!

(Remember to click on the photos to be taken to the retailers directly! Also, don't forget there could be more than one "page" of shoes below, be sure to check out all of my picks!)

No comments: