Friday, June 19, 2015

Strawberry Peach Pie

When we invited our friends over for dinner a few weeks ago, I knew immediate that I wanted to bake a pie. And definitely a fruit pie- that was a no brainier. I was at Target with Charlotte during the week and lo and behold there were peaches! Beautiful, glorious peaches. But I didn't want to do just a peach pie. So off to Pinterest I went and I found a strawberry- peach tart. Bingo! Strawberry peach pie. I searched and searched for a good recipe but most were just "throw the fresh fruit into the frozen pie crust and be on your way." I guess I just like doing extra work. So, I finally found a recipe I was happy with on Taste Of Home (albeit a frozen crust recipe) so off I went (my recipe is ever so slightly adapted as I wanted to do a lattice top but feel free to follow their crumble top recipe if that's your style). As far as crusts go, I have tried my fair share. Like, a lot. And I have definitely perfected the fluffy, yet crispy, buttery, yumminess that is this crust (adapted from the fantastic Paula Deen recipe- read below for my tips and tricks). There is a surprise ingredient in this pie- fresh basil. Just trust me on this, it works and it's delightful so don't skip that ingredient. It was seriously the best pie I have ever made. So I decided to make it again for a bbq because it was just that good. Be warned- this pie is extremely juicy! And peeling peaches is not my favorite thing to do because it's a sticky mess but oh so worth it. So, without further adieu- the strawberry peach pie!

*Side note. The first time I made this pie... I used nectarines. I just grabbed some at the store really quickly and didn't even think about it until I was peeling them and I was wondering why the skin wasn't fuzzy.  I made it a second time last night with peaches and peeling them was so much easier. Verdict is still out on if this pie tastes better with nectarines or peaches ha!*
(before egg wash and baking) 

The Crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold
12 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
1/2 cup + of ice water

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and break it up with your hands. (NOTE: I throw my butter into the freezer for about a minute before I do this. You want your butter SUPER cold!) Add the cold butter cubes and work it into the flour with your hands (It helps if you cut these quickly and as small as you can). Work fast so the butter doesn't get too soft. Mixture should be crumbly like coarse cornmeal. Add the ice water, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together forming a ball. When it comes together STOP working it otherwise the dough will get tough. Divide the dough in half and form each into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour. Roll crust out on a floured (*please make sure it's well floured! Otherwise it gets extremely sticky) surface to an 9-11 inch circle. Add to pie dish and trim edges.

Lattice Top 
How to do a lattice top. It seems complicated, but really you just weave. Make sure you roll your dough out evenly and slice into desired thickness. Alternate sides you place your crust on and "weave" your way until you get to the end. Trim and tuck edges for a cleaner look. Use an egg white (lightly whipped) to brush the tops and sprinkle 1/2 tbp sugar on top. 
(After baking! The egg wash really makes the top crisp up nicely) 

The Filling

Ingredients

4 sliced and peeled fresh peaches 
2 1/2 cups slices fresh strawberries (usually one carton is fine)
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar- packed
1/4 cup cornstarch
2+ tbsp minced fresh basil (to taste) 

Directions

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine peaches, strawberries and lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix sugars, cornstarch and basil. Add to fruit and toss to coat. Pour filling into prepared crust. (I like to place my pie pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper- this pie is seriously JUICY and got all over my oven the first time I made it). Bake on a lower oven rack 45-55 minutes. Enjoy with freshed whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. 






1 comment:

Purposely at Home said...

oh my goodness. this looks sooo amazing!