Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Building a Wardrobe

I got a message from a friend a few days ago about how to revamp her wardrobe. As I sat thinking about it, I realized that I had struggled with the same thing when Devin and I first got married. I remember we were sitting down for dinner one night and I had an Abercrombie and Fitch sweatshirt on and Devin said something like, "Abercrombie and Fitch is just so High School." Well, I definitely didn't want to dress like a highschooler anymore- so I went to pinterest, talked to my mom, and looked through all my favorite blogs for inspiration. I started buying classic pieces and quality pieces that would transcend (mostly) seasons and style changes. So, this has sparked a new segment on my teeny tiny blog- How to Build a Wardrobe. 
Before we get into specifics, let's talk about what to do to prep before you go out and spend money.

Step #1: Throw out (donate, take to platos closet...) anything that fits terribly, that you don't love, OR that you haven't worn in the last year. Because if you haven't worn it in the last year YOU AREN'T GOING TO (unless, of course, you are pregnant or had a baby recently- still get rid of things that you don't love!) 
*SIDE NOTE: I just got rid of 4 pairs of 7 for all mankind jeans because the fit was terrible- it hurt me a little bit on the inside because they were expensive! But, they really did look awful on.* 
When I was going through my first "closet purge" after Devin and I got married, I would hold up an item and Devin would say, "Do you love it? Do you wear it? Would you rather have something better?" Those questions have served me well in doing closet purges. I also try on as many things as I can (that I haven't worn or maybe that I forgot about). It really helps weed out the weaklings of any closet- SHOES INCLUDED! 

Step #2: Organize your closet
This is essential as it allows you to identify gaps in your wardrobe and see what you lack and need. It sounds so simple but it really helps! Sometimes we forget about items that we have (I know I do) and we get stuck in a rut wearing the same things over and over again. EVEN DOING THIS STEP can help you revamp your closet. 

Step #3: Identify gaps and make a list
I get it guys. Not everyone has the funds to go out and restyle their entire wardrobe in one go- I'm NOT saying to do that. I definitely didn't do that. But what I DID DO is prioritize. Is your closet lacking good fitting pants? Good, go out and search for good quality jeans/pants and start from there. Make a list of the things you need and prioritize for what's important.

Step #4: Set a budget
This is the dream smasher (if you let it be). Have a budget and stick to it! Maybe it's a monthly budget, maybe it's a bimonthly one- whatever it is, make it and stick to it. This helps you have realistic expectations about what you can get and when.

Step #5: WAIT FOR A SALE
I don't think I have paid full price for any item of clothing since I got married to Devin. I remember buying my first pair of 7 for all mankind jeans while Devin and I were dating and crying a little bit at the price tag. NEVER AGAIN! RIGHT NOW is such a good time to start because practically everywhere is going to have summer sales. So, online shopping just might be your best browsing friend- so you know what you want before hand and you can WATCH what you want until it's on sale. This serves me so so well.

Step #6: TRY STUFF ON!!!!! And find things that fit your body NOW
Ok, unless you have gone to a store a billion times (cough cough... J CREW... cough cough) and you know what size you will be in EVERY ITEM... TRY IT ON! Obviously if all you do is online shopping this does not apply to you. But if you go into a store, don't be afraid of the fitting room! Take a deep breath, and walk in with your head held high. I KNOW fitting rooms can be scary sometimes. Right after I had Charlotte I cried and cried and cried in fitting rooms for I can't even tell you how long. But it's ok! Dry your tears, and try again another day. 

Step #7: Rock what you wear with confidence.
If you feel uncomfortable in your clothes, you will LOOK it! Also, if you buy something and you don't feel like it's "you"- that's nonsense! Of course it's you! It got your attention and you bought it so it's YOU! Case in point- my tulle skirt. I was so afraid that people would think I looked ridiculous and that it wasn't me at all. But you know what? I stinking love that thing! Who cares if other people don't like it? I love it. And that's what matters. 

{Here are some of my current favorites for wardrobes. Some are basics and some are add on pieces. Please stay tuned for follow up posts about actually BUILDING a wardrobe. CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO BE DIRECTLY LINKED TO PRODUCT}
Until next time friends!
XO

1 comment:

Megan. said...

This is such a wonderful post, Whitney! I follow both of your instagram accounts, and love that you are so down-to-earth and extra girly (like me!). I recently have been realizing that I still have things that I wore in college (four years ago...eek!), and I've been trying to make them look work appropriate or styled for today. I definitely like very classic pieces, so I need to heed your advice and start weeding things out and replacing with timeless pieces! Thanks for the inspiration, and I am looking forward to future fashion posts!

xo, Megan