Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Building a Wardrobe: Tops

So now that we have your bottoms covers (ha!) lets talk about tops. This is a short post as tops are generally easy and relatively self explanatory. Remember, we are talking about BASICS for ALL SEASONS. I think talking about tops is the best part because it's what people usually notice the most.  The most important thing you need to remember when choosing tops is FIT! Not too tight in the boob area (or ANY area for that matter) and definitely not too tight in the arm area. A good rule it if you are uncomfortable crossing your arms, it's not a good fit. Also, please be aware that your body type may not be an "off the rack" type and THAT'S OK! That is what tailors are for! This is why it is so important to invest in quality items ESPECIALLY if you don't have an off the rack body type (I sure don't). Find a good tailor and have them custom fit your items to you. Yes, this means paying more but it also means looking fantastic in your clothes. Why spend the money on something if you aren't going to love it because it fits poorly? I usually do this with pants a jeans because I'm right in between a "petite" and "regular" size. You CAN do this with tops as well! Remember, things can be taken in but not (usually) let out. So when in doubt, if you are between sizes SIZE UP and then take it to a tailor. 

Basic tops you need:
-White button down: as much as I hate to admit it, my mom was ALWAYS trying to get me to buy a white button up top growing up and I always resisted. Thank you mom of instilling in me that classic never dies! Seriously, invest in a white top you guys. You will use it a ton! And it never goes out of style. 
-Chambray button down: I have a dark one and a light one and it's literally one of my go to pieces. Devin calls it my "uniform".  
-Stripped 3/4 sleeve shirt (any color is great! I think I have one in red, navy, black, gray...). I am obsessed with stripes as it is but stripped dresses and tops? I can't get enough. Classic, easy, and stylish.
-Black cardigan: I think I have a cardigan in every color of the rainbow. I'm obsessed. You can't go wrong with a cardigan in any color. And they don't have to have buttons! 
-Long & short sleeve black shirts (jersey material). Any solid color top is going to be a good staple. Just make sure the fit is nice (not too loose and not too tight!)
-Long & short sleeve white shirt (jersey material)

(Remember, you can click right on the items below and be taken to the retailer to see pricing!)

Yes, these items are SUPER basic. But once you have them you can start branching out. PLAID button downs, any color cardigan you want, any color top you want! Remember, we are trying to BUILD a wardrobe from scratch. These items are so versatile! Add a fun necklace or a scarf and water them with different bottoms and different shoes and seriously it looks like an entire new outfit. 
*Please stay tuned for how I use these pieces! It will be a few weeks as I will be doing my senior capstone in another state but be sure to check back at the end of august! I will continue to do posts as I am able while gone. On the agenda for "building a wardrobe": shoes, accessories, outerwear.*

No comments: