Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Building a Wardrobe: Bottoms

Let's start out at the very beginning. To me, the beginning of building a wardrobe is a good bottom (pun intended). Why? Because, they are EASY! And you can dress them up or down. It's the basic essential that everyone needs in their wardrobe: good fitting pants, good fitting jeans, and a pencil skirt (or 5).

Here is a basic starter kit:
-Dark skinny jeans
-Black jeans/pants
-Black leggings (yes yes I know but I wear mine all the time- I just make sure my booty is covered!)
-Boyfriend jeans (*optional, but you can pick any other kind of cut you want, ex: bootcut)
-Black pencil skirt

*Click on the photos to be taken to the the website where these products are sold!*


These are the building blocks and essentials you need in your wardrobe. Things to be careful of when purchasing these items.
#1. FIT
#2. QUALITY
I can't stress enough how important these two things are. If you buy low quality items, they won't last. My mom taught me that. It was when I was going through my "maybe I like Forever21 phase". If you spend a little more money on quality items they will last for-freaking-ever. True story, I have a few Express pencil skirts that are almost 10 years old and I still rock them quite frequently. So, INVEST in good fabric and a good fit. It's so important to TRY THINGS ON (if you can, if you buy things online still try them on when you get them ha!) I can't tell you how many times I have tried on things that have great hanger appeal but just look awful on my body. When buying jeans, be aware of the placement of the pockets!
POCKET RULES:
#1. Don't buy jeans where the pockets are too far apart (it will make your butt look wide)
#2. Don't buy jeans where the pockets are too long (it will make your butt look really long)
#3. Don't buy jeans that have really tiny or really large pockets

Also, make sure your jeans are tight-ish. I say "ish" because I'm not talking saying have your jeans hold you in like a sausage. No, no, no. A good rule of thumb with buying NEW jeans is that if you can fit your index and middle finger in your waistband (and you don't have a muffin top) you're golden. My advice is try on all different kinds and styles of jeans and pick one you really love. (Although I am a firm believer that every girl needs  a pair of skinny jeans/pants, if only to wear boots with in the fall!)

A few words about pencil skirts. Fit is so important with these as well. DON'T CHOOSE A PENCIL SKIRT THAT WILL MAKE YOU LOOK BOXY. You want that skirt to show that you are a women, not a cardboard box.


A few words about leggings. DON'T BUY CHEAP LEGGINGS THAT HAVE THING FABRIC. I'm sorry guys, but no one wants to see your booty through your thin leggings.
Once you have these 5 things in your wardrobe then you can start branching out into other colors and patterns! That's the fun part. 

1 comment:

Purposely at Home said...

i LOVE this! so smart and helpful.