Wednesday, August 6, 2014

On not being present



If you know me, then you know that I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as balance- only juggling. 
I have heard it said that there is no balance, only family first- which I also agree with.
I'm just having a hard time giving up my time with my family these last few weeks. 
I am gone for over 12 hours 3 days a week and I get home after 6:30 4 days a week.
That's a lot of time being away from my sweet husband and sweet baby girl.
I never regret the time I spend with my family
I do regret the time I feel that has been wasted (with classes that are not necessary for my education but we still have to have our "butt in the seat" time) 
And finally- FINALLY I get why I am doing this.
My first clinical rotation has just started and I am at a long term care facility (read: nursing home)
And my first day there was so depressing- I came home 100% drained.
I won't go into too many details but it's just flat out sad and heart wrenching. 
My second day- it clicked.
I give up my time with my family to help others.
I give up my time with my family to care for others.
I give up my time with my family to spend time with people who sometimes don't have a family.
I am their advocate when they have none.
I am the one who cares when maybe no one else does.
I give up my time with my family... and it's really really hard to do. 
Often I have looked at my Charlotte and thought, "where did this time go?"
My time has gone with her. She is my time thief. 
Even though I'm not with her as much as I would like, my time still goes with her
I am always with her and she is always with me.
I find myself, however, being "here" but not being present too much of the time.
I have never been one to "find joy in the journey"
HOW DO YOU DO THAT?
I am constantly thinking about what come NEXT
What I have to do NEXT
What tasks need to be done NOW...
How do I stop that? 
If I lay down for a few minutes I feel like I'm wasting time that I could be studying...
I am trying SO hard to be HOME when I am home
The phone goes away until Charlotte goes down for bed and I try my hardest to be present- here and now. And worry about tomorrow (and the next day and the next day...) after she has gone to sleep.
Because as much as she is my time thief, my worry and planning and list making is also a thief...
A thief of being present. 

"Time never stands still; it must steadily march on, and with the marching come the changes...
If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly. Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, “They do not love that do not show their love.” We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us." 
My messy house means that I have people to love... And I will be here and present for them... even if it means not getting everything done on my list. 

No comments: