Saturday, January 25, 2014

Thoughts on Dating

I have had my fair share of boyfriends in the past. Oh boy. Giddy school girl "romances" of infatuation and heartbreak. I am so glad that that is over. Ugh. When I look back on those years, I cringe sometimes. All of my boy problems seemed so significant then. Girls hating me because boys liked me and not them (oh girl drama I loath you), having a rule to go on AT LEAST one date with every guy who asked. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast dating. And if there is any advice I would give to young women it's TO DATE... A LOT (and please try the "at least one date" rule. I think it's only fair).  I'm not talking the Taylor Swift kind of dating where he's your "boyfriend" for a week abad then you break up and write a song about it (I will admit it, my roommates and I wrote a break up song once. AND IT WAS AWESOME). I'm talking, go on DATES with different boys. If you find one you like, go on another date with him. Side story: Summer of 2007 I had the LONGEST and WORST date ever. It was seriously the most awkward date ever. I may just write about it one day. The date started at 8 am (I think? I remember getting up stupidly early on a Saturday for it) and I didn't get home until past 11pm. By the end of the date  was so sick of this kid. We had a class together and I was sure he would never speak to me again. AND THE GUY ASKED ME OUT AGAIN. I was shocked. And I politely declined. 
However, I am so thankful that part of my life is done.
I remember moving all of my things into Devin's place a few days before we got married and thinking how weird it would be to live with a man (hahaha).
Like any marriage, ours has had it's highs and it's lows
But one thing I have always known is that Devin supports me not matter what.
He is my best friend and companion.
He is the best helper.
Yesterday as I was heading to C's room to changer her diaper he said,
"Nope, when daddy is home, I change the diapers."
He spent New Years day deep cleaning the house with me.
He got up early this morning to take my car in and get the oil changed.
Last night he said, "I will watch Charlotte, you go get the diaper bag and your school bag ready so you don't have to worry about it tomorrow."
I sobbed the entire time I packed up our things to be separated.
Devin at work, me at school, and Charlotte at "daycare" (she is being watched by a friend).
Am I sure we made the right decision?
Am I SURE I'm sure?
I came down the stairs and asked Devin for a BLESSING
"I really feel like I need one"
I sat on the floor with Charlotte in my lap...
And I felt comfort and peace.
Exactly what I needed.
I am so thankful that Devin chose me
That is one decision I will be eternally grateful for.

2 comments:

Kirsty and Seth said...

I hated dating, I always found it really awkward! I was so lucky with my now husband, we already knew each other and so I was already comfortable with him! Unbeknownst to me, he liked me since he was 14! Little did we know then that we would end up married!

kirstyandseth.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Susan said...

Love this post, because dating is hard! So says the girl still in it... ;) Miss you!