Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cherry Chocolate Granola

I am feeling a bit sad this week as it's my parents last week living in California. My dad is retiring and they are moving out of state. I spent half of my life there and it will always be home. I remember when we first moved there my mom said people in California dressed very "granola". 
The only conclusion I can make about dressing granola is the hippies with twigs and berries
And I see a lot more of that here in CO than I ever did in California
I still don't know exactly what that means but granola is delicious so... 
ANYWAY, there is one thing I eat for breakfast that I ate all through my pregnancy and I missed it A LOT when we were going through all that allergy stuff with Charlotte...
It's 1/4 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/2-1 cup yogurt, chopped strawberries and GRANOLA.
It's seriously delicious. 
When I saw THIS recipe a few weeks ago I knew I had to try and make my own version.
AND I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED.
As soon as it was all mixed up I was hooked.
I could probably take a spoon and eat the entire thing
But I haven't... yet. 
But seriously guys this granola is amazing. I have made my own granola bars in the past and they have been super delicious but this recipe it awesome for topping yogurt or even as a cereal OR just eating it on its own (I have been eating it on its own quite a bit).
I have a feeling this will have a permanent spot on my counter. 


Cherry Chocolate Granola

You'll need:
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp vanilla
4 cups rolled oats 
1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup dried cherries

To make:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe dish (mine took about a minute to do). Whisk in the cinnamon, ginger, honey, water and vanilla. In a separate large bowl, combine the oats, cereal and ground flax seed. Pour honey mixture over the oatmeal mixture and stir until well combined. Evenly distribute mixture on the parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes (stir every 15 minutes). Remove after baking and allow it to cool completely. In another large bowl add the almond, chocolate chips and cherries. Add the cool oat mixture and combine until well mixed. Store in an air tight container and enjoy at your leisure! 

2 comments:

Makeover With Aspen said...

This looks DELICIOUS! I am obsessed with anything cherry and chocolate not to mention I absolutely love granola. Can't wait to try this!

I added your button to my blog :)

Home

Fabulously Faint said...

This looks good especially with the cherries in it !