Friday, January 10, 2014

Baby Food


Something you may not know about me is... I LOVE infomercials.
I know, it's completely weird but it's true. 
It's how I ended up buying ProActiv, The Brazilian Butt Lift, The Firm, Insanity...
If any of you have seen "The Bullet" informercials, you know how terrible they are
It's probably the worst acting I have ever seen!
However it didn't stop me from thinking how genius the baby bullet was.
Which is probably one of the reasons I wanted to try and make my own baby food. 
That and it's cheaper. Those little squeeze pouches are about $1.50 a piece and C could eat 2 or more of those a day (for now!) that's $90 on average for baby food for a month! Yeah, no. 
So I found THIS BLOG on Pinterest on making your own baby food and I decided to try it.
Essentially you make a month's worth of baby food for $20 and you do it in an hour.
I spend about $15, it took me 3 hours to make (YIKES!) and it lasted us 2 months (frozen). 
I was a little discouraged the first time around because it took soooo long to do. An hour! YEAH RIGHT! It took me an hour just to cut everything up and prep it. I vowed to try again and learn from my mistakes. My second time around it took me an hour and an half (it would have only taken me an hour if I can prepped and chopped everything the day before) and it still cost me around $15. You might spend more or less depending on where you live and where you grocery shop. 
MUCH better this time around. I finished it all during a nap. 
A few things I learned...
#1. Use Organic frozen fruits and veggies. It cuts down on A LOT of prep time. It makes it SO MUCH easier. I don't use frozen for everything but it's amazingly easier than cutting everything up yourself. If you want to use fresh and not frozen fruits and veggies then... 
#2. Peel and cut up your fruit the day before. 
#3. Microwave steaming is my new best friend. If you have opinions on microwaves then steam everything on the stove top (I still boil my sweet potatoes on the stove top). But microwave steaming (glass blow with about an inch of water!) saves a lot of time. 
#4. Have a system. Mine is having everything prepped first then work on one recipe at a time. While I am filling the containers with one recipe I start on the next one. 

Also, I do not have a baby bullet or any special puree device. I use my food processor and I'm sure a blender would be just fine. I rinse it out after every recipe. I also just bought these SQUEEZEMS which are reusable squeeze pouches and they are amazing! I love them and I will probably be getting more. I got mine at Babies R Us and they gave me the sale online price (SCORE!) 
Making your own baby food CAN be easy and cost effective and efficient. You just have to find your groove. Also, Charlotte LOVES these food combos I made for her. She wasn't so sure about spinach and broccoli at first but now she loves it. She hasn't turned down anything we have given her (so far!). 
Here are some of my favorite recipes.
Please note I only made *6 of these recipes this time around. If you would like to eliminate some of these recipes just eliminate the ingredients from the "grocery list".
*Blueberry Peach Oatmeal
*Strawberry Banana Oatmeal
*Mango apple Carrot
*Carrot pea pear
*Sweet potato (you can also make cinnamon apple sweet potato! 1/2 tbsp cinnamon and an extra apple) 
*Zucchini banana blueberry
Spinach apple pear
Broccoli apple 
Pea pear 
Butternut squash

To make all these (the way I did) you will need: 
-2 bags frozen blueberries
-1 bag frozen peaches
-1 bag frozen strawberries
-2 bananas
-1 bag frozen mango
-3 apples
-2 bags frozen carrots
-2 bags frozen peas
-3 pears 
-2 large sweet potatoes
-2 large zucchini's
-1 bag frozen spinach
-1 bag frozen broccoli
-1 bag pealed and cubed butternut squash (this is usually over by the lettuce at my grocery store) 

To make: (It's really easy to do but here are some tips)

Peel and dice up your apples, pears, zucchini and sweet potatoes first 

Boil your sweet potatoes until tender. Usually about 10 minutes after the water is boiling. Drain, and pulse in food processor until smooth. 

Make the oatmeal according to package directions (I usually do about 2 cups and split it in half to do 2 recipes). Then steam your fruits after. 

All fruits and veggies need to be steamed except bananas. You will need 1 package or 1 of each fruit (except you will need 2 zucchinis and 2 sweet potatoes) for each recipe. What I do is start by boiling my potatoes, then I steam ALL The apples and ALL the pears. Then I divide them up into how many recipes I have that contain each. After, I just start my way at the top (of my reipce list) and steam all that I need  in a glass bowl, add it to my food processor until smooth and divide them into containers. A few of my friends freeze their portions in ice cube trays and then put them in ziplocs afterwards so they can take out a serving at a time. Devin got me some more snapware so that is what I use (along with the squeezems) and it is working out well! Charlotte is starting to eat more so we will see how long this new batch lasts. Good luck! Hope this made sense! Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. (If any of my local friends wants to come and do this with me let me know! I probably won't need to do it again until next month). 

3 comments:

Michelle and Parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle and Parker said...

Once you put the frozen fruit into a microwave safe dish with water, how long do you microwave it for to be steamed/soft?

My Life as Whitney said...

Michelle, for me it was about 5 minutes!