Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole

My mama never made pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving (or Christmas) growing up. We always had sweet potato. ALWAYS. And we have been using my grandmother's recipe for I don't even know how long. However, I just cannot bring myself to make them without my mom here with me. I just can't! Sweet potato pies need to be made with my mom. I even remember Devin helping to make them with us for our very first Thanksgiving together. Sigh. But I knew that it would not be Thanksgiving unless I had a sweet potato SOMETHING on the table. I was at the grocery store and make a snap decision and looked up a recipe while standing in the produce section (right in front of the sweet potatoes- they were staring at me I tell you!). Husband LOVED this recipe. He asked if we could have it every year. Yes, yes we can. It's so easy! We might even recreate it at Christmas. Because WHY do certain things only make an appearance at Thanksgiving? I really don't know! This recipe is so easy but it tastes fancy... yes things can taste fancy. (Also, please forgive this picture it was the only one I took of it before we dove head first into it. We were ready to EAT!)


Sweet Potato Casserole
Original Recipe

You'll need:
3 cups sweet potatoes mashed
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

To make:
Preheat the over to 350. Peel, chop, and boil sweet potatoes until tender (usually about 10 minutes). Drain and mash sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Combine all the ingredients together (except topping!) and beat together until well combined. Add to a greased 9x13 pan. Mix the topping ingredients together in a separate bowl and sprinkle over the top of the sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 

1 comment:

Tearsa Roberts said...

I'm making this!!! My husband will only eat sweet potato pie (he's weird like you! Lol) and he knows the difference between that and pumpkin pie which is crazy. I prefer pumpkin pie because that's what I grew up with, but now I can make this AND have pumpkin pie. Win win! I would love to also get your grandma's sweet potato pie recipe, if it's not a secret ;)

Livingincolormom