Monday, December 2, 2013

Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles with Salted Caramel Sauce

I hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving! Ours was filled with a lot of food, and regrettably... sickness. Devin and I were both sick this weekend (with different things). I honestly thought I was going to die while making Thanksgiving dinner for two days. After we finished eating I collapsed on the couch for an hour. But we survived! And it was delicious. So I decided that this week I will be featuring a recipe a day (YAY!!!) as part of my "week of eats". Yes, a lot of this we ate at Thanksgiving but these recipes aren't JUST for Thanksgiving... trust me. First up... Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles with Salted Caramel Sauce. Let me start by saying- you NEED this caramel sauce in your life ASAP. It will change your life. Ok, maybe it won't change your life but it WILL make your taste buds super happy. I made these the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Devin was out getting the oil changed on our car so I prepped the batter and had the sauce simmering so everything would be nice and hot when he got home. This waffle recipe made a ton of waffles (for us). We each ate 3 waffles and had about 9 left over. Depending on how big your waffle maker makes your waffles we will just say safely this will make 12 good waffles (our maker makes smallish waffles). I am convinced this is going to be a new tradition to have in the house come Fall... I think we might even have these Christmas morning. Out of all of the breakfast foods I have made, these are definitely at the top of the list. You need to make them. I know it's a bit dramatic to say NEED but I honestly feel like it is true! If I was a famous chef, this would be on "the best thing I have ever made" breakfast version (along with my pancakes of course).  


Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles

You'll need: 
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice 
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

To make:
            Whisk together the wet ingredients (eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, pumpkin) until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and whisk until completely incorporated. Grease down your waffle maker, when it's ready add about 1/4 cup of batter and cook according to your individual waffle iron's instructions. Top with pecans and salted caramel sauce!

Salted Caramel sauce

You'll need:
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt

To make:
            In a saucepan, add the butter and melt. Stir in the brown sugar until completely combined. Mix in the whipping cream. Continue stirring, bring the sauce to a boil. Continue to stir until it becomes as thick as you would like. Turn the heat off, mix in the maple syrup and coarse salt, mix one last time and remove from heat. Let cool. Add to your waffles! (It makes a lot so I have frozen the rest of mine). 

2 comments:

Tearsa Roberts said...

Those look AMAZING! I'm gonna have to try them. Sorry to hear you were sick-I swear everyone gets sick around thanksgiving!

Tearsa
Living in color mom

Camille said...

I can't wait to try these! If it helps any, I got sick on Thanksgiving also, ugh!