Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Mama's Yeast Rolls

**I will preface this recipe by saying that my mama has made these rolls as long as I can remember. I got this recipe out of a cookbook she wrote for us (her children).**
It just isn't Thanksgiving to me without these "turkey" rolls. My mom has always used this turkey cookie cutter on her rolls for Thanksgiving. The cookie cutter was my great grandmother's. My mom remembers making Moravian cookies with her using this same cookie cutter. Last year, I made Thanksgiving dinner for the first time on my own and I was devastated that we would not be having "turkey" rolls. I even went around looking for a turkey cookie cutter (no luck). I settled on making our rolls "star" shaped because fun shaped rolls are always better. A few weeks ago my mom sent me a package and inside were a lot of vintage cookie cutters that were my great grandmother's... including the turkey! I teared up. It's probably the thing I look forward to most. Having turkey rolls and left over turkey sandwiches on turkey rolls. I will never get too old for it. Anyway! I remember when Devin and I had our first Thanksgiving together. It was just weeks before we got married and Devin got off of work early the day before and came over to my parents house to help us cook. He learned all of our secrets to the best sweet potato pie... and he learned the art of the turkey roll. 


Yeast Rolls

You'll need:
2 pkg yeast
1 cup crisco
1/3 tsp baking soda
5 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk 
Butter (for melting and adding to the top prior to baking)

To make:
Add yeast to a small amount of lukewarm water (usually 1/4 cup). Let sit for 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients (gradually add the flour last). Mix well. Turn out on floured board and knead lightly. Let rise for 1 hour until doubled. Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter. Melt butter and brush onto tops of biscuits. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. 

**I like to make honey butter to go with mine! Yum!**

2 comments:

Diane's Photography said...

Whitney, you have the sweetest Mom...what a wonderful gift and thank you for sharing her delisious roll recipe~

Buffy said...

I love traditions! I can't wait to try the recipe. By the way, the cookie cutter makes it!