Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chocolate peanut butter pie

A few years ago when we were still living in California, my mom had a birthday coming up and I asked her what kind of cake she wanted. She said she didn't care what kind of dessert it was as long as it was chocolate peanut butter. I am definitely my mother's daughter. I found this recipe from THIS website at least 4 years ago but I can't find it anymore. Luckily I have a well loved piece of paper with the recipe on it. This pie is amazing. I usually only make it once a year because the waiting to eat it just kills me. I did, however, make it twice this year because we were invited over to a friend's house and we REALLY wanted them to like us so I made it... I think the pie worked (Right Michelle?  Haha!) But seriously, Devin waits ALL YEAR for this pie and he never wants to share. It's his absolute favorite thing and he is super stingy about sharing. I can't say that I blame him. Its THAT good. But this pie really needs to set up in the fridge over night to really set up... so the waiting to eat it is hard but it's worth it. Trust me on this.
The WEIGHT of this pie is also ridiculous. I have yet to put it on a scale... but its' just heavy. Also, fresh whipped cream is the ONLY way to go with this. The fresh whipped cream is a must. Please do not use cool whip. I will cry if you do.
**Side note:  Many years ago my brother brought over a store bought pie (I won't say from where) for some kind of occasion that I can't remember. It was a chocolate pie and I raved to my mom about how awesome it was. I remember her telling me that homemade pie is always better than store bought. I didn't believe her. So she busted out a "secret family recipe" that I had never seen (or tasted) before and she made it... and that was the day I realized that my mom knew a thing or two that I didn't. So thank you mom for teaching me that homemade pie is the best kind of pie.**


Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

You'll need:
1 prepared pie crust 

Chocolate layer:
3/4 cup heavy cream
4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I use Bakers)

Peanut butter filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Whipped cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

To make:
In a saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Remover pan from heat and add the chocolate. Stir until chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate into the pie crust. Freeze for 1 hour until the layer is firm. In a sauce pan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining milk and egg yolks. Whisk. Heat over medium heat and whisk continuously until the custard comes to a boil. Still whisk for 1 minute or until mixture becomes very thick. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. Pour the mousse on top of chocolate layer. Freeze for 1 hour. Let pie rest, covered, in the fridge for 24 hours to let it set! Before serving prepare the whipped cream but combining cream, sugar and vanilla and beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Apply generously to pie and consume! 

4 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'll have to try this! I make a peanut butter pie that people love but I haven't tried a chocolate one!

Diane's Photography said...

I love chocolate and peanut butter together...this will probably be my favorite when I make it....thank you for sharing.

Diane's Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tearsa Roberts said...

I'm going to have to boycott your blog until you stop the food posts, because you're making me want to make it all! No bueno...that looks delicious. Reese's are my favorite candy!

livingincolormom.com