Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes

  • Let me preface this recipe by saying that I hate making twice baked potatoes. There are certain recipes in life that I can and probably will never master. Twice baked potatoes and sugar cookies are 2 of those recipes. Twice baked potatoes make me angry. Mostly because my potatoes NEVER just take an hour to cook. NEVER. I follow the recipe to a T and do what it says, and I still end up baking the potatoes for 2+ hours and I still don't feel like they are cooked (I even cranked up the heat... I ended up throwing these in the microwave for 10 minutes towards the end to get them where I wanted them) I guess I just didn't realize that this recipes was in fact a twice baked potato until I got started. I starting cooking around 5 and I wasn't done until 7. The whole time I was muttering "stupid twice baked potato"... but honestly these are seriously delicious. And if I can just master the time it takes to bake potatoes I will definitely be making these again. Devin loved them too! He kept saying, "wow, this is really good!" So all that extra kitchen time was worth it. If you are the master at making twice baked potatoes and want something healthy... this recipe is most definitely for you! 

  • Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes: 

    You'll need: 

  • 3 medium sweet potatoes
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded 
  • 1/4 cups olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
  • 3 whole chipotle pepper, minced
     
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 (half a 10oz bag) cups spinach
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated) 
              To make: 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until fork tender. When the sweet potatoes are done cut in half and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. In a medium size bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside. Wilt the spinach in a microwave safe dish (I did mine for about 4 minutes and it was perfect). Toss the spinach and shredded chicken together, set aside and keep warm. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, and place in the bowl that has the chicken and spinach. Be sure to leave about 1/4 inch of flesh in the sweet potatoes. Brush the skins with with a little of the chipotle sauce and bake for 5-10 minutes until nice and crisp. While the skins bake mix the spinach, chicken and chipotle sauce together. Remove skins from the oven and stuff with the chicken mixture, top with shredded cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Aspen Ballard said...

These look absolutely AMAZING! We love loaded sweet potatoes in our house :)

(Be sure to check out my $100 Visa Givaway)

Makeover With Aspen

Tearsa Roberts said...

Little Betty Crocker over here! These look delicious! I'll give them a try. My husband will love the chipotle kick! Btw I listed you as one of my fav blogs on a guest post today :) http://fabulouslyfaint.blogspot.com/