Friday, December 6, 2013

Cheddar Broccoli Soup

I am a big fan of Panera. Devin likes it occasionally. Last week when I got sick before Thanksgiving, I spent all day Wednesday cooking and there was no way I was going to cook dinner. I felt like I was dying. Devin had gone out to get gloves for his Turkey Bowl the next day (he didn't want to drop any passes!) and I called him and begged him to bring me home some Panera. He asked what I wanted and I said, "Cheddar Broccoli Soup and bread!" He delivered that and a grilled cheese and a smoothie. He loves me. With the snow coming I knew that I needed to make my own version. I have tried making cheddar broccoli soup before and it was OK. This time... it was amazing. Devin even made homemade bread for us to have with it (in the bread maker... that thing is awesome!) I would go as far as saying this this might even be better than Panera's (gasp!) But seriously, Devin and I both ate it for lunch the next day and we agreed- best cheddar broccoli soup we have had. For this recipe I added extra cheese because I used mild (and it turned out so much better with extra cheese haha of course) and I forgot to get half and half at the store so I used whipping cream... A-MAZ-ING I tell you.


Cheddar Broccoli Soup:

You'll Need: 
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
1 cup diced carrot **I bought the already shredded carrots**
3-3 1/2 cups mild cheddar jack cheese

To make:
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in the whipping cream until smooth.  Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. Add the broccoli to a food processor and pulse until fine. Remove the bay leaves from the soup. Add the broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. Serve with extra cheese on top if desired. 

1 comment:

Aspen Ballard said...

Cheddar Broccoli Soup is my very favorite soup in the whole world! It's one of those things that I don't care how bad it is I will eat it every time. Thanks for the recipe!

Makeover With Aspen