Friday, November 22, 2013

The Ghost of Thanksgivings Past

Just a few ramblings before I start my story about a Thanksgiving of the past (the worst one ever in fact...) It snowed ALL DAY yesterday and the HIGH was 18 degrees. 18 degrees! Yeah we stayed inside most of the day (except to take a quick drive to school to drop off my transcripts that took for-eva to get here). It was kind of fun watching the snow fall and knowing we didn't have to go anywhere if we didn't want to. I love that about the snow. Its peaceful. And everything is so much prettier dressed in white. I put up my first Christmas decoration (I have been informed that I must wait another week for the rest of them to go up... that's the rule in our house... no Christmas until after Thanksgiving dinner.) I also made THE BEST pumpkin bread I have ever had. I think we might have ate half of the loaf before dinner. My bread maker is the best for days where I want some fresh bread without all the effort of kneading and all that jazz. Anyway friends I SO hope that you all have an amazing Friday and that you enjoy my story. This story is told purely for entertainment purposes. Feel free to laugh at it's horribleness and it's ridiculousness. I have shared this story many-a-time with teenagers struggling in the dating world... it usually makes them feel better...

So, I am going to tell you about my "Worst Thanksgiving Ever" because it truly was awful and whenever the holiday comes around I remember it all over again. Now, I just laugh at it because it was so ridiculous... but at the time it was seriously bad. 
(Me... in my college days. I will not be posting people's names or any photos I have of them for this post) 

I was 20 years old and away at BYU-Idaho. It was the fall semester and I had moved out of the dorms and into an off campus apartment with 5 other girls I didn't know previously. I had recently starting dating one of my roommates friends the month before when talk of Thanksgiving came up. My parents couldn't afford to fly me home so I was staying at school and going to have Thanksgiving with my roommate who was also staying. It would be my first Thanksgiving away from my family and I was devastated! I would miss my mom's turkey rolls and sweet potato pie! I would miss going to the movies and helping my mom mash the potatoes. But mom asked if I would rather come home for Thanksgiving or Christmas and obviously the answer was Christmas so I was stuck in Idaho for a few more weeks. My boyfriend at the time was going home for Thanksgiving for the week and asked if I wanted to go. He and his cousin (and his cousin's girlfriend) would be driving him to his family's house (which was only 3ish hours away) on their way to Oregon. At first I declined. How weird to be the girlfriend and come and spend Thanksgiving with people I didn't even know. No no we can wait and do the whole "meet the family" thing when it isn't a major holiday. And THEN he told me that one of his friends was getting married in Oregon and that his ex girlfriend would be flying in and staying with him that Friday and then driving with him to the wedding on Saturday. (He would then drive him and her back to Rexburg so she could see her friends... which happened to be my roommates at the time). I remember him telling me, "You can either be there with me when she comes or not be there when she comes. I would like it if you were there." Well there was NO WAY I was going to let my boyfriend spend 3 days with his ex without me there. So I packed up my bags and headed off. Can I mention here that we stopped at ANOTHER ex girlfriend's house on our way to his family's house? Because his sister was hanging out there. Already I felt weird and nervous. That first night we stayed at his (other) sister's house and watched The Bachelor and I just remember having a blast. I LOVED his sisters. They were awesome and funny and I just felt like I fit in. Ok maybe this won't be as bad as I thought. The next few days we spent hanging out, going shopping and ice skating. Thanksgiving day was awesome. We got up early and went and played a "family" football game and I scored a touchdown (so I was the hero of our team). We ate dinner and played games. It was exactly how I wanted my family to be when I "grew up." His little brother and sister decided to stay up with us that night and wait for Black Friday to start. We passed the time by learning the dance moved to "Soulja boy" (classy right? Yeah... not my finest moment). And I SWEAR once it hit midnight things change. Boyfriend became very distant. He didn't want to hold my hand or really talk to me or ANYTHING. Friday (after we got some sleep) he took me to a little amusement place and it was absolutely no fun at all because he was sulking. I asked what was wrong and all I got was a "nothing." I figured he was just nervous about me meeting his ex. We picked her up from the airport that evening (I sat in the back of the car) and they gave each other the biggest hug... ever. Ex gushed about all the nice things she had heard about me and yadda yadda yadda. Boyfriend said nothing to me the whole ride home. When we got back to his house, he showed Ex upstairs and left me downstairs for HOURS. His little brother felt bad so he took me out for a little bit. I remember him saying, "I'm sorry I don't know what's going on with him." Yeah me neither. When we got back Boyfriend was STILL in EX's room with her. I decided to go to bed. I called my mom and cried and asked if there was a way to get me back to school. Unfortunately there wasn't. Finally, Boyfriend knocked on my door and came into my room. I asked him what the heck was going on!? I told him that he was hurting my feelings. That I had had an awesome time up until this day and that all I wanted was to get away and go back to Rexburg. He said that he didn't want to be my boyfriend anymore. That he wanted us to "pretend" to still be together for his family's sake but that when we got back to Rexburg we were done. I cried and cried and cried. "How could you do this to me? At your family's house? You invited me here! You said you wanted me here! And now I'm STUCK here for another few days with you and your EX. And I'm just supposed to PRETEND? Sorry buddy that isn't going to happen." He begged me to pretend especially since we were driving to a wedding the next day. We drove mostly in silence and when he introduced me to the rest of his family he introduced me as his "Girlfriend." His uncle came up to talk to me and asked, "How did he end up with a pretty girl like you." And I said, "Oh we aren't together anymore he broke up with me last night right after EX got into town but he wants me to pretend like we are together but just until we get back to school." His sister look at me and said, "I'll kill him." Yeah that was what my dad said too. My dad was about to drive up to Idaho and get me and give him a good "word of prayer." Going to the wedding was excruciating. Going to church on Sunday was terrible. And driving back to school that night with EX Boyfriend and Ex was the worst and most awkward thing ever. Ex stayed in my apartment while she was in town. She would go out and see Ex Boyfriend (in the apartment next door mostly) thinking that I didn't know what they were doing. I cried and cried and begged my mom to let me come home. When we left his parent's house his mom said, "I have asked Boyfriend not to invite anyone else home for Thanksgiving." Thanks...that sure made me feel better about being dumped over a holiday away from my family. And having to stay here 3 more days... and being asked to pretend that I am still dating your son...

Now, I can just laugh at it. It was such a bad idea from the beginning.  It really was the worst Thanksgiving ever. And I am SO glad that I don't have to play the silly dating game anymore. Because none of this matters anymore. Although it is funny to tell... 

8 comments:

Alexander Dattilo said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! that dude is a douche! that must have been so terribly hard! super brutal...

emily said...

Seriously?!! That sounds awful. Glad you can laugh about it now! I'm still mad at him though! ;)

emily said...

Seriously?!! That sounds awful. Glad you can laugh about it now! I'm still mad at him though! ;)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my gosh! What the heck! That is the WORST!

andrea said...

I can imagine how traumatic that was!

Afton Brinkerhoff said...

Wow , what a loser. I agree with Emily. I'm still mad at him for you.

Fabulously Faint said...

I have nominated you for the Leibster Award :)
http://fabulouslyfaint.blogspot.com/2013/11/leibster-award.html

Mama-in-Ausbildung said...

Oh my gosh! I have no words.. what a douche! I mean, I am happy for you, that now you think it is a fun story to tell, but experience it must be more than aweful!!! Surrounded by strangers, dumped by someone who seemed to know, that he might fall back in love with his EX again. (At least it seems a little obvious reading your story now, that he insisted you to come...)....Have you ever heard again from him?