Monday, October 7, 2013

Wardrobe Staples for Fall

Since I am now a SAHM but also starting Nursing School soon... we are broke
It's the weirdest thing
I know... lots of people are broke
But it's kind of weird to say but we haven't ever really had a budget
Because I always worked and my money was savings and play money
With school that savings $ is blown (although we still have SOME left) and I have no income anymore
Devin's mulah is all the mulah we got... and it's a strange adjustment.
Needless to say I will not be frequenting J Crew or any other store for that matter besides the grocery store.
Which means that I have to make what's in my closet LAST (at least until I graduate nursing school and get a real job... 23 months and counting... too bad my other degree doesn't really do me any good... oh well)
Because I no longer have the luxury of spending what I want.
Luckily I have been pretty smart about my wardrobe choices over these last few years when I was (and could be) a bit frivolous in my spending.
So here are some things I am so glad that I have in my wardrobe this fall.

#1. The black pencil skirt

If you don't have a pencil skirt go out and get one. It's a classic shape that is TIMELESS. I have had a black pencil skirt in my wardrobe for about 6 years now (before I was completely resistant to the idea because MY MOM wore pencil skirts... but my mom is awesome). Dress it up with heels, dress it down in the fall with boots and flats in the spring. You NEED a pencil skirt. Need need need. 

#2. Black pumps

Apparently my mom watched an interview with Jimmy Choo the other day and platforms are out. If you have platforms and wear them I won't judge you- I have some way cute ones I'm just waiting to bust out- but you DO need a black pair of regular high heels. Round toe, pointy (WHICH ELONGATE YOUR LEGS!!!!) whatever you choose love them and invest in them. I am a firm believer that a good pair of shoes changes the whole feel of an outfit. My second choice of heel would be a great nude one (which I am still hunting for... I just can't find THE ONE.)

#3. Skinny jeans

If you are afraid of skinny jeans get over it. They aren't going to make you look fat as long as they fit well. Get some that have some stretch to them but aren't pajama jeans. You guys know I love my gap ones but banana republic makes some killer ones too. 

#5. Classic button down

I have to admit that I used to make fun of my mom for wanting me to have classic button downs because they looked old... I am here to tell you that a nice fitting button down can be super stylish! AND it doesn't have to just be in white!

#6. Ballet flats

Because I can't wear sandals in the fall and winter. Rocketdog makes some super comfy ones. But seriously thought- if you don't have ballet flats get some! Just beware of the "toe cleavage" (ha!) that drive my husband crazy.

#7. Nice boots

I have been fortunate enough to find ones that fit my calves (hallelujah!) but also to get my boots on sale! Usually I wait until black friday to get them. I have had my brown ones for... 3 years now and they still look awesome. INVEST in nice pieces and they will last you!

#8. A pea coat.

I have had my black pea coat since I was a sophomore in high school and it still looks good. My mom changed out the buttons for me before I went to college but that's all the modifications that have been done. And I LOVE colored coats. I am dying to get a pink one!

I'm telling you guys, once you have wardrobe STAPLES that can be worn with anything THEN you can add super trendy stuff- Like pattered leggings I am seeing EVERYWHERE (as long as your top covers you goodies... if you know what I mean).
What's something you are glad you have in your wardrobe?




No comments: