Thursday, October 10, 2013

The 5 Minute Face


If you have ever seen "What Not to Wear"please watch an episode. Please. Because this is their last season and I am terribly sad! I have learned a lot over the years from WNTW- I even remember throwing out a dress because one of the contributors had the same dress and Stacey said it did nothing for her shape... so out it went. Among the things that I learned was the concept of "The 5 minute face." Their makeup artist Carmindy gave women the tools they needed to do their makeup in 5 minutes! Ever since I learned that there was such a thing I have had a fast face, 5 minute routine. (I also have a longer routine for when we are going out... obviously. Which includes highlight, contouring, and the whole shebang.) This routine is for the days when I am really pressed for time. AKA we have to be somewhere quick or C is being a little fusserton. But really I KNOW you have 5 minutes. I recently told my friend Sarah K. and my mother that I just don't understand why people don't invest in what they put on their faces! Time and product wise. Your face is what you present to the world- that's the first thing they see! Take 5 minutes to do your makeup. New mama's, seasoned mama's, the busy lady...  invest just a little bit of time in your daily routine. I promise you will still look like YOU just enhanced ;-)
Ok... so here is my 5 minute face (please excuse the awkward bathroom photos- I get terrible light in there!) Also, to most of you this may seem like a "duh"- and for that we thank you.

#1. Start with a clean moisturized (or primed!) face. 
CONCEALER
TIP: Use a shade lighter if you have under eye circles like me. 
 (My favorite is MAC pro longwear)

#2. FOUNDATION or BB CREAM
TIP: Be sure to blend REALLY well! No one wants to look like they are wearing a mask.
(I love Boscia's BB cream or MAC pro longwear foundation)

#3. EYE COLOR
TIP: I use the same paintpot as my eyeshadow primer and I love it. You can also use a shimmery primer and then add a matte shadow (I love MAC's brule!)
(I use MAC's paintpot in Ocre) 

#4. BLUSH
TIP: While I love my bronzer I adore pink rosy cheeks for fall and winter. Also I think we tend to get a little too heavy handed on the bronzer sometimes- Myself included.
 (I love NARS deep throat or Tarte Amazonian clay 12 hour blush in doll face)

 #5. CURL EYELASHES
TIP: Curl your lashes in 3 segments. Base, middle and top. This will help give you a nice curl... and not a 90 degree angle.
(I love the eyelash curler by SEPHORA)

#6. EYELINER!
TIP: Use an eyeliner brush or Qtip to soften harsh lines. 
(I love MAC's eye kohl in teddy)

#6. MASCARA
TIP: While I'm not the biggest fan of the "wiggle" method I ALWAYS spin  (as in rotating up) my brush through my lashes. I feel like it coats my lashes better and gets from the base to the tips.
(My absolute favorite is Benefit's They're Real)

 #7. LIPSTICK OR GLOSS
TIP: Pick what you like. Because if you don't LOVE it in the store then you will NEVER use it. Sounds silly- but I can't tell you how many products I have purchased without loving it.
(I love MAC's angel or cream cup)

Finished product!

5 minutes. I did not do my eyebrows, I did not highlight and contour, I did not do any kind of eye shadowing (other than a quick cream base)... 
 I have heard that I should ALWAYS H and C and that I should ALWAYS do my eyebrows... well... I didn't and I don't think its bad. I will save those things for a day when I have more than 5 minutes. 

3 comments:

Mariannie said...

Love the 5 minute face tips! I too, am incredibly sad What Not To Wear is going away. I love that show! I guess all good things must come to an end. I think this Friday is the very last show. Ugh.... I just might cry.

Mariannie said...

Love the 5 minute face tips! I too, am incredibly sad What Not To Wear is going away. I love that show! I guess all good things must come to an end. I think this Friday is the very last show. Ugh.... I just might cry.

Diane's Photography said...

and you always look polished and gorgeous...thanks for the tips!