Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones

When I was in college I had a friend who made amazing pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. We called them "little puffs of heaven". These scones are little scones of heaven. And I have realized that I should not ever make anything again with pumpkin and chocolate because it is just too delicious  and I want to eat them all. I think husband agreed. He asked me the very next day if I would please get them out of the house (and I took them to a pinterest party my friend was hosting). These scones are nice and fluffy and not dry and crumbly like a lot of scones I have had in my day. They are spicy and just plain delectable. Make them. Love them. Have an extra one for me OK? Ok.


    You'll need:
    For the Scone:
  • 4¼ cup flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ½ tsp ground cloves
  • ¾ tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • ¾ cup butter, cold, cut in cubes
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
  • For the Cinnamon Glaze:
       1 cup powdered sugar (add more if needed)
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp allspice
  • 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
To make:
  1. In small bowl, mix the pumpkin, heavy cream and egg 
  2. In mixer, using paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and spices. Add in cold butter cubes and mix until "crumbly". Note: It won't get super crumbly- just wait until it looks incorporated. Slowly add in pumpkin mixture and chocolate chips. Mix until combined. 
  3. Divide dough in half, and roll out on a floured surface into a 12x5 inch rectangle.
  4. Cut dough into triangles by making 2 vertical cuts and one horizontal through the dough. You should now have 6 rectangles. Cut rectangles at a diagonal to form triangles. 
  5. Place each triangle onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 13 minutes. Repeat with other half of dough.
  6. Cool on rack. Whisk together glaze ingredients in a small bowl. 
  7. Use a spoon to drizzle glaze over scones. Let dry for about 10-15 minutes before enjoying! 

3 comments:

Ditter Ditter Doo said...

Does the icing call for any powdered sugar? I assumed it did and that is how I made it. These turned out very nice and moist. They were not crumbly at all. I baked half the batch and froze the rest after they were formed into triangles. I will bake them this weekend and see how well freezing them works.

My Life as Whitney said...

Yes it does! I'm so sorry I forgot to add that! So glad they turned out nice for you! I haven't tried freezing them yet we ate them up before I could try!

Ditter Ditter Doo said...

Flash freezing them worked beautifully. They baked up in the exact amount of time straight from the freezer! Everyone loved them at church on Sunday morning.

I made another batch tonight substituting banana for the pumpkin and omitting the spices. I also substituted 2 of the cups of white flour for whole wheat. For the glaze, I used about 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, almost 2 tablespoons of half and half and about a cup of powdered sugar. I eyeballed it. It worked out really well. They tasted delicious!