Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Glazed Orange Rolls

Once again it's tasty treat Tuesday! I promise one day I will do something without sugar... and maybe something that's healthy. I promise we don't sit around all day eating sugar. HOWEVER, if you know me at all you know that if I eat something bad it has to be WORTH IT. So I promise never to share a recipe with you that isn't worth it deal? Deal. Okay. So glazed orange rolls. Doesn't that just sound fabulous? Someone made orange rolls for my baby shower and they were absolutely divine. I had only ever had orange rolls from the can- and frankly I would much rather have cinnamon rolls thankyouverymuch. But these orange rolls have been on my brain this past week so I went searching for the perfect recipe (and I found it!). Now, let me say that I have not had the best of luck making any kind of breakfast rolls. I tried one year for Christmas to make homemade cinnamon rolls and they were a disaster- as were my cinnamon pull apart muffins. Devin said that the canned ones are just fine. But not with these. A can cannot come close. So please make them. Have them with a cup of salted caramel hot chocolate. Because that sounds amazing right about now!


Glazed Orange Rolls:
Adapted from *The Cottage Journal*

You'll need:
Rolls
4 cups all-purpose flour

¼ cup sugar

1 package dry active yeast

1 teaspoon salt

¼ cup hot water
2 large eggs

¹⁄3 cup butter, melted 

½ cup sour cream

½ teaspoon orange extract

4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided

½ cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided

2 tablespoons orange zest, divided
Orange Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon orange zest

5 tablespoons orange juice

In medium bowl, whisk together sugar, orange zest, and just enough orange juice, starting with the smaller amount, to reach desired consistency.

To Make
1.Pour hot water into a small bowl and add yeast. Let yeast bloom (about 5 minutes). In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook place flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Add hot water, eggs, ¹⁄3 cup melted butter, sour cream, and orange extract; beat at low speed until a soft dough forms. Then turn up the speed and let knead for about 5 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the dough ball forms on the hook.
2. Take dough out of bowl and oil bowl with vegetable oil. Place dough back in bowl and cover bowl with a kitchen towel to cling wrap. Let rise for about an hour or until dough has doubled in size.
3. Spray 16 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion of dough rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter, then sprinkle evenly with ¼ cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Roll up the dough and cut into 1 inch sliced. Place slices in prepared muffin cups. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough. 
4. Cover rolls again and let rise for another hour 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Uncover rolls, and bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rolls to a wire rack, and drizzle with Orange Glaze while warm. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Diane's Photography said...

those look super good~ Think I will make us some, I'll have happy men :)