Thursday, August 29, 2013

DIY Carseat Canopy and Baby Blanket

I will be the first to admit that I am not very good at sewing. I am definitely a "fake it 'til I make it" sewer. Despite me having an amazing sewing teacher who taught me the right way to do things- I still fake it. But I LOVE fabric. I LOVE creating things. So when I went to Joann's and I saw this modified chevron fabric, I totally fell in love with it. I obsessed over it for DAYS before going back and getting it. I really wanted it I just didn't know what I would DO with it once I had it. I had to have a plan for it before purchasing. And to be honest, I wanted to make something for Charlotte but it just seems more boyish ya know? Luckily for me, my sister is pregnant and due ANY DAY with a new little nephew for me. So I decided that she needed to have a carseat canopy and matching blanket. 


For the carseat canopy:
1 yard main fabric
1 yard coordinating fabric
Ribbon

For the blanket:
1 yard main fabric
1 yard soft coordinating fabric 
(I wanted to use minky but my sister lives in Mexico and minky gets warm very fast so I ended up picking a nice soft felty material so it would keep baby boy cozy without making him too hot)

(please excuse Charlotte's pinkness- this is just to show what it looks like "open")

These were both sewed the same way basically. For the blanket: Be sure to WASH THE FABRIC FIRST- this drives me nuts when people don't do this so please wash the fabric first. Place right sides of the fabric together, true up the ends (you can use a rotary cutter if you have one. I sure wish I had one!), pin- leave about a 6 inch hole to pull through, sew all around except the hole. Trim up the edges (don't forget to cut the corners at an angle to get a nice edge!) and pull through. Sew again using a small seam allowance and voila. Easy Peasy. I made a few modifications for the carseat canopy: I sewed a straight seam one inch from the center of the "blanket like" canopy to make one side longer (this will be the side that covers the front of the carseat)- this just helps the fabric stay together and not fall in baby's face. This seam will go the width of the carseat on top once it's completed. The only other thing I did was sew the ribbons on about 10 inches from the ends and about 6 inches apart from one another. There are TONS of carseat canopy tutorials out there so if you want something fancier or someone who explains it better just use google! It's what I did :-) 

P.S. Um how cute is this contrasting fabric!? I love it so stinkin' much. My sister is a huge traveler so it's just perfect. I really hope she loves it! 

1 comment:

Diane's Photography said...

This is coming from your sewing teacher...you sew very well and you get sewing! I'm sure your sister will love this cute cute blanket and canopy. I love the fabric you chose, you have a good eye for fun things...and it looks professional my dear :D