Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chocolate Caramel Toffee Bars

You know by now that I love to bake. I love seeing someone take a bite of something that I made that is truly delicious. My husband is usually an amazing participant in the "enjoying and consuming" part. My friend Sarah K used to make these back when we lived in California and they are ridiculously naughty. I craved them while I was pregnant- even texting Sarah K that I wanted some of her Toffee Bars! I had totally forgotten that she had given me the recipe until I was going through my cook book the other day and BAM! There it was. I knew I had to make them. The perfect opportunity arose when Devin and I went on a date and a sweet family watched Charlotte for us and didn't charge us (!!!) So, I went to work. Devin, of course, had to do a taste test... and he said they were "more gooey" than he remembered but turns out we just needed to let them set... so... note to self... don't let husband bust into these until the chocolate has COMPLETELY set. 



You'll need:
(Crust)
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour

(Filling)
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp butter
1 bag ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
1 bag heath toffee bits

To make:
Combine the butter, brown sugar, and four. Press crust into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Heat milk and butter in a sauce pan on the stove until thickened (mine took about 10 minutes). Spread this over the crust and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Spread chocolate chips evenly over the caramel and bake for another 2 mintues until chocolate is melted. Spread melted chocolate over caramel evenly with a spatula. Top with toffee bits (press toffee bits into the chocolate so they stay!). LET COOL COMPLETELY then cut into bars and ENJOY! 

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Do you melt the butter for the brown sugar and flour?