Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I dusted my sewing machine off


All through my pregnancy with Charlotte I did not want to make anything.
I didn't even make a single thing for her room! I bought it all.
And honestly? I hardly went on pinterest.
Shame on me!
Luckily now I am back to being my wannabe crafty self.
I am a bit ashamed to say that we have lived in this house for 7 months and I just NOW made a cushion for the window seat in our breakfast nook.
My mom had brought me some adorable chevron fabric to use and just when we got all the supplies and everything ready to sew up a storm... we didn't have enough fabric- so I was on my own for this endeavor. I don't know why I was so worried it was ridiculously easy! I didn't even get any photos of the process because it took me under an hour to do (and the camera was upstairs and Charlotte was getting grumpy towards the end of the process).

You might think it's silly to be blogging about something so simple... but I have a secret to share about this. The secret is once we got our measurements for the cushion we called Joann's to see how much they charge for foam. For how much I needed 2 inch thick foam was around $65 and 3 inch foam was around $72! Um... sorry but I don't want a seat cushion THAT badly. Lucky for me- my mom is super smart. We went to Target where we bought a twin mattress pad for $14.99, came home, cut it in half, and cut it down to size and glued the 2 halves together and voila... instant 3 inch foam that didn't cost me $70. I sewed it pretty much like a giant pillow and in no time at all my breakfast nook feels complete.
 (and yes my breakfast nook also serves as the place my husband likes to leave our laptop. Please tell me we aren't the only ones?)


2 comments:

Diane's Photography said...

I love the nook cushion Whitney...and clever to use the matress pads, I would have never thought of that! Great idea!!!!! I'm always proud of your projects :D

andrea said...

We have a storage ottoman that needs a new top and I couldn't believe how expensive the foam was at Joann's, even if you get it on sale it's still too expensive. I like your tip!