Friday, February 22, 2013

On becoming a mother

 
The words "mommy" and "daddy" are thrown around this house a lot the other day. The words are sweet to hear and even sweeter to recognize how close they are to becoming true. The other day, husband said, "Whoa, you're going to be someone's mother!" And that term hit me in a whole new way. Mother I feel like is a word with so much emotion, love and responsibility attached. While I know I will be a "mommy" right away will I be a mother right away? I started thinking about the things that made up the mothers that I know. Were they born that way? Or did it come when the babies came? I don't think in order to be a mother you have to be biologically related. I have had plenty of mothers in my life (my own being the most important to me). Then I worry about those mothers who are seemingly detatched. Where their children are merely accessories to their lives. How do you know which one you will be? Is it an innate ability? I'm just not sure. How do you know you will be good at it. Have I already been a mother to someone? Not in the literaly sense but in the emotional sense? Lot's of questions on this upcoming role loom in my mind. How do you become a mother? And how do you know you will be good at it?

4 comments:

Kayla Bainbridge said...

When I worked at a junior high my heart was broken when so many students didn't have a mother who cared. One student got a text one day that said not to come home because she was sick of him. After that I realized that if I just tried, it would be more than many mothers do.

Ali Mills said...

I feel like the worst blog follower ever! I didn't even know you were pregnant! (your feed was lost to me for awhile!) Congrats on baby girl!

I can tell you from my experience, the mothering instinct usually kicks in pretty fast. A couple months into your small one's life, you'll turn into the "mother". You'll watch her growing and want to teach her everything, you'll be the comfort she needs, etc. It's something you develop without really realizing it I swear. And I think you'll be amazing! ;)

Diane's Photography said...

You will be a good Mother because you want to be! It's like sewing the apron, you choose your style, do the work carefully, you make mistakes and in an instant you realize it and fix it. The end result is beautiful and something to be proud of. You learn along the way but love is the first and foremost importance which you have lots of Whitney! Motherhood has been my treasure! I love being a Mom/grandma!

Ashley said...

Congrats on becoming a momma!

I nominated you for the Liebster award! Just a fun way to honor other bloggers.
http://casa-de-castel.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-award.html