Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Scrap Map

This project has taken me a lot longer than I thought
And it technically isn't done yet...
I still have to have Devin put the cork board behind it
And put it in a frame
And I don't think I will be adding Alaska and Hawaii to it either
Because it was a TON of work
 
 
You see, I saw all these cute little maps all over pinterest where people were recording the places they had been... and by golly I needed one too. So, off to Michaels I went to get corkboard. Then one day I was browsing pinterest... and there it was... The scrap map... And I knew I had to recreate it.
I googled printable USA maps, found one that was big enough
And went to cutting out each individual state in paper
THEN I cut then out of fabric and pinned them onto my muslin
I tried to run this sucker through my sewing machine
And quickly realized that that was a hillarious joke on me
 
 
So each little state is hand cut and hand sewn
And I offically hate all the east coast states
(not a deep hate or even a real hate... mostly a "I thought I lost you 12 times before I sewed you on" type hate)
 
 
I will say that if you try to tackle this, start on the west coast...
It will help you keep your sanity
Luckily, everytime husband would come home and I would have more done he kept telling me how much he liked it and how cute it was going to be.
Thank goodness for my cute man and that he appreciates a good craft.


6 comments:

PrettyPhysicist said...

That is super cute! I would love to do it, but I doubt I'd have the patience. As an East-coaster, I'd like to apologize for the small states. However, I'm from Pennsylvania and I'm pretty sure you didn't lose that one. :)

Megan said...

Wow! That is so cute! I'm jealous of your skills. :) I would have never had the patience for it. It may have been hard work, but it's something you can always treasure and be very proud of.

Grace said...

That looks amazing!! I'm so impressed!

Tere Shake said...

seriously the cutest thing ever. so fun!

Kayla Bainbridge said...

I can't believe you have the patience for that kind of thing. it looks great!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my gosh! I love that! You did a great job. I can't even imagine how much time that took! That's crazy!