Friday, August 3, 2012

Steak & Potato Grilled Cheese


Let me start off by telling you that this is a man meal. One time I tried to have husband and I do a detox diet and after about 3 days he exclaimed, "I can't eat like this! I can't eat like a rabbit!" Poor guy. Needless to say we haven't dont a detox since. So when I told husband what I had in the works for dinner, he was excited. Not only that, but he did an awesome job grilling the seak. Oh.. and I should mention... these sandwiches were legitimately grilled... on our BBQ grill. We both loved the carb-y-ness and ultimate grilled cheese that this sandwich was. And BBQing your grilled cheese!? Genius. I got the idea off of pinterest and made this recipe my own. 

You'll need:
-1 top sirloin steak
-provolone cheese
-1 big red potato (or a couple little ones)
-2 tbsp chopped green onions
-Olive oil (or butter if you are feeling extra naughty)
-Garlic powder
-Sea salt & pepper
-Onion
-French bread

To make:
Take steak out of the fridge (if you are like me and keep it hibernating in there), pat it dry, and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and allow it to warm to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Evenly slice your potato and toss with some olive oil (just eyeball it) and a little bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. You can either grill your potatos directly on the grill or fry them up in some olive oil. Your potatos should take about 20 mintues to cook either way. I used the fry pan and it gave the potatos a nice crunch. Slice onion and caramelize in a fry pan with a tbp olive oil (or butter) on medium to low heat. Chop your green onions and set aside. Once your steak is ready heat your grill on high for 5 mintues. Once it is heated turn it down to medium and cook your steak the way you like it (be sure to undercook it a teensy bit beacuase you will be throwing everything back on the grill and it will cook further). Once your steak is done let it rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing. When everything is finished cooking brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and layer on your ingredients. I found it best if I layered my cheese, green onions, potatos, yellow onions, then the steak. Add sandwich to grill and let it cook until crush is golden brown... Then... You stuff your face!
P.S. If your husband/boyfriend/man helps you make this... be sure he doesn't start a fire like mine did.

Happy Friday my friends!

2 comments:

Megan said...

That looks good...definitely manly :)

Nessa @{Casa Braaflat} said...

yummers!