Monday, March 12, 2012

How to eat an elephant


I hate (and I mean hate) it when my chemistry professor says this phrase. "How do you eat an elephant?" It is the most ridiculous thing ever. Who would try to eat an elephant? By themselves? Not me that's for sure. Whenever he says it I roll my eyes (which I am fairly good at as it turns out) and in unison the entire class says, "One bite at a time."

I apologize Mr. pH for rolling my eyes all those times. I promise if you say it today I won't. I get it now... I really do get it.
You see, husband is leaving next week... and he will be gone for 8 weeks! That's 60 flippin' days of being here by myself. And I am freaking out just a tad. I mean... 3 weeks was bad enough last time but 8 weeks? I don't think I can do it... I really really don't.
And I can't go with him. I have school... and work. I have shed a few tears so far and I know more are on their way. Why do I have to be such a baby!?

Then I realized something
 Those 60 days are going to be my "elephant"
And I have to eat that elephant one stinkin' bite at a time

Eating my elephant is going to be hard and looooooooooong (that's what she said)
 but seriously these next 60ish days are going to be rough
But we can do it
Husband set up Skype for us last night... so at least I will get to see him on my computer screen. 

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

SIXTY DAYS! we're doing ten here in a bit and we think thats long! you can do it though :) just blog your miseries away :)

Elisabeth said...

SIXTY DAYS! we're doing ten here in a bit and we think thats long! you can do it though :) just blog your miseries away :)

Alyx said...

Oh, wow. Sixty days is such a long time! You'll be okay, though! At least you don't have any crazy toddlers running around to take care of all by yourself!

LoriLynn said...

I think that is going to be my new fave motivational saying now...8 weeks is rough...I lived on my own for the first 8 months of grad school and I got through it but it didn't mean I liked it. I missed my husband every single day but you find ways to get through it! Hang in there XO Lori

Tracy said...

awww thats a good analogy tho!

2Anchor said...

You're going be completely fine! Keep yourself busy...(workout, try new recipes, craft) at least you have skype! I've done many underways and 2 deployments, with nothing but email and the occasional phone call. It sucks, but after it's over you'll be proud of yourself.

xoKylee