Monday, August 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Cup Pie

So as you can probably already tell... I like to read "The Girl Who Ate Everything"... she is MY kinda woman... And when my mom told me she wanted "chocolate and peanut butter" for her birthday... I knew that's where I had to go to find the recipe... I did adapt it a bit to my own liking... but to find the original recipe go HERE 

Peanut Butter Cup Pie according to WZ...

Graham Cracker Crust:Buy 1 pre-made crust (I like Keebler's)
If you want to be super woman and make your own you can- I didn't because I had 2 other projects going on at the same time

Dark Chocolate Layer:
¾ cup heavy cream (be sure its heavy WHIPPING cream)
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (Be sure to use Baker's chocolate or any other kind of baking chocolate.... chocolate chips will make it too runny)

Peanut Butter Mousse Filling:
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups milk
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup creamy peanut butter (I highly recommend using Skippy Natural)

Topping and Decoration:
Whipped cream! If you don't have the time canned whipped cream is fine... but honestly its worth it to make your own! I also put some chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, and drizzled melted peanut butter on the top- just to make it look fancy but its totally unnecessary.

How to make your own whipped cream:
First off... be sure to put your bowl and "beaters" in the freezer for 10 minutes... this helps the cream to whip. You'll need 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 3 tbsp sugar, and a splash of vanilla (because we all know how accurate I am with measuring). Just dump all that in a bowl and whip it for 2-3 minutes until the cream forms stiff peaks. Be careful not to over whip it! You don't want cottage cheese lookin' cream.


How to do the whole thing:
Layer #1
Chocolate layer: In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, and stir until melted and smooth.  Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust, smoothing it over the bottom and slightly up the sides. (I did this by rotating the pie crust in a circle so the chocolate coated the sides of the crust). Freeze for 1 hour or longer if chocolate isn't set.

Layer #2:
Peanut butter layer: In a heavy medium-size saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add ½ cup milk and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining milk and the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until the custard comes to a boil. Still whisking, boil for 1 minute until very thick. (I had to boil mine for longer to get it to thicken... you will KNOW when its thick trust me). Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. Pour the mousse into the baked pie crust. Chill for 1 hour, or until firm. (I froze mine)

 Before serving, decorate the pie with whipped cream and do whatever fancy things you want! And then... ENJOY!

OK so this pie you guys... is heaven... seriously I want to go make another one just talking about it... Its like a giant Reese's cup (except smoother). The sheer WEIGHT of this pie amazed me... but its oh so worth the calories... just go run an extra mile or two ;-)

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

Yum!! That looks extra delish :) xo