Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Meatloaf Schmeatloaf

Double Beatloaf... (I hate meatloaf)

K let me just preface this by saying if you DON'T LOVE meat loaf... you will like this... unless of course you are ME and you are freaked out by the fact that you just cooked a loaf of meat in your bread pan... if that doesn't weird you out... you will be JUST fine (really it was DELICIOUS I just couldn't get over the whole... LOAF... thing)

BBQ-Bacon Meat Loaf

You'll need:
Olive oil spray
1 cup chopped red onion
4 slices extra-lean turkey bacon, chopped (I used Jennie-O)
2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 pound extra-lean ground chicken breast
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp worcestershire sauce (I could NOT put this in anything I made... anchovies??? um no thanks. I used BBQ sauce instead)
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 BBQ sauce (7g carbs or less per 2 tbsp... this is for the top when you bake it)

How it's done:
-Preheat oven to 350. Mist a 9''x5''x3'' nonstick loaf pan.
-Place a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly mist pan with spray and add the onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 6 or 8 minutes (or until the onion is tender and bacon is chrisp) Remove from heat and allow to cool.
-Combine the oats and milk in a mixing bowl (stir to combine). Let the mixture stand for 3 minutes, or until the oats soften. Add the onion and bacon mixture, the chicken (or turkey), egg whites, garlic, Worcestershire sauce (if using), and salt. With a fork or CLEAN hands, mix until well combined.
-Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread so the top is flat. Spread the BBQ sauce evenly over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until it is completely cook through and no longer pink. Let loaf sit for 10 minutes before cutting into 8 slices to serve.

Makes 4 servings.

The damage (per serving):
258 calories, 35g protein, 20g carbs, 3 g fat (trace saturated), 76mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 529mg sodium.

I think I am still tramautized by making this dish. The whole idea... gives me the heeby geeby's... plus husband keeps teasing me about it... It SMELT delicious and it TASTED delicious... I can just never eat it again. But if you like meatloaf you will love this. Husband sure did!

No comments: