Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Orzo Antipasto Salad

When I saw this cookbook I HAD to have it... Like little kid kicking and screaming and making a huge scene in the store HAD TO have it (only without the kicking and screaming). Its the Biggest Loser flavors of the world cookbook... This was first on my list...



You'll need:
-6 oz. dry whole wheat orzo pasta (about 1 "scant" cup)
-3 oz. nitrate-free turkey salami, cut into 1/4'' strips
-3 oz. nitrate-free turkey ham steak, cut into 1/4'' strips
-1 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
-1 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
-1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper strips (homemade, not soaking in brine or containing preservatives)
-1/3 cup zucchini matchsticks
-2 tbsp drained canned sliced black olives
-2 tbsp fresh basil sliver, or more to taste
-2 tbsp red wine vinegar, or more to taste
-2 tbsp freshly grated all-natural Parmesan or Romano cheese
-2 tsp fresh minced garlic
-1/2 bsp extra-virgin olive oil (or EVOO for you Rachel Ray fans)
-Ground black pepper
-Crushed red pepper flackes to taste (optional)

How to make it:
-Cook the orzo according to package instructions omit any butter or oil. When cooked, transfer it to a strainer and run it under cold water. Drain well.
-In a medium bowl, combine pasta, salami, ham, spinach, tomaoes, bell pepper, zucchini, olives, and basil. Mix until combined. Add vinegar, cheese, garlic and oil. Mix. Season with pepper and pepper flakes (if desired). Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Makes 4, 1 3/4 cup servings

The damage: 260 calories, 14 g protein, 38 g carbs (4 g sugar), 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 31 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 407 mg sodium.

What I did differently:
I used chicken instead of the turkey salami and ham and I omitted the olives because I think they are gross. I also used roma tomatoes because I think they taste better :-)



This was my first time EVER roasting a pepper! So for those of you who are/were like me and don't know how to roast one here is how you do it.



Fire up the broiler! Place bell pepper on broiling pan. Now I had to keep checking back on my pepper so I'm not sure how long it needed to cook but the skin needs to get BLACK!!! Also you need to rotate it onto all sides so they all get black. You have to keep an eye on it a lot (or atleast I did because I didn't want ot mess it up haha) but once all sides are black, wrap pepper in tin foil. Keep it in the tin foil for about 15 minutes (it will still continue to cook)... after that you are ready to take the skin off!!!

This recipe was fabulous! I made it Sunday night so Devin and I would have some pre-made lunches that we could just grab from the fridge before work. I highly recommend this recipe and I think hubby liked it too :-)

No comments: