Friday, March 25, 2011

Cook this! Not that! Pulled Pork Sandwich

My mom is a Southern Belle. She is a fabulous cook. Sunday she made fried chicken and it was disgustingly amazing. Ahhh North Carolina how I miss you. One food that is SUPER southern is bbq. So when I saw this recipe for pulled pork I decided to try it!!! This was my first time EVER cooking pork. I am not a big pork fan (with the exception of bacon duh). I also made cole slaw to go with it.

Pulled Pork~
You'll need:
1 bonless pork shoulder (4-5 lbs)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp canola or veggie oil
1 cup apple cider vinegar
4 cups (2 cans) low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tbsp liquid smoke (I had a hard time finding this but it should be next to the BBQ sauce)
4 hamburger buns



Cole Slaw~
You'll need:
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp mayonnaise (I NEVER use mayo on ANYTHING but I bought the olive oil kind)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
3 carrots, cut into thin strips
1 tsp fennel seeds (I will NEVER use these again, they taste like black licorice. Dislike!)
Pickled Jalapenos (optional... we did not use these)



Pulled pork~
How to make it:
-Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cut pork into 2 or 3 pieces and season with salt and pepper. Add the oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, sear the pork until thoroughly browned on the outside. Remove the pork and place in the slow cooker.
-Add the vinegar to the hot pan and deglaze, scraping any pits of browned meat stuck to the bottom (this sounds really gross but I think it helps). Pour vinegar over the pork and add the broth and liquid smoke to the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hours until the pork falls apart with gentle pressure. Remove pork from liquid and shred. Toss with a bit more vinegar and serve on top of warm buns.

Cole Slaw~
How to make it:
-Mix the mustard, mayo and vinegar in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
-Combine the cabbages, carrots, fennel seeds, jalapenos (if using), and dressing in a large bowl. Toss so that everything is evenly coated and season with more salt and pepper.

Suggestions:
-I added Santa Maria (AKA Susie Q) seasoning to the pork before cooking. I also set the slow cooker on low and cooked it for 8 hours. I also didn't think there was enough flavor to the pork after I shredded it so I mixed about 1 tbsp vinegar with about 2 tbsp BBQ sauce and poured it over the sandwiches and it MADE THEM SUPER DELICIOUS! I highly recommend doing it!

-Don't use fennel seeds unless you love them and you love black licorice. Other than that this meal was fantastic!!!!

Damage: Sandwich, 430 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated), 540 mg sodium. Cole Slaw, 130 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated), 200 mg sodium.


No comments: