Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cook This! Not That! Fajitas

GUYS! It has been SO long since I have posted a cook this! not that! post! I have been makng banana nutell crepes (FAV!) and I also made this "loaded alfredo" thing last week from there but honestly you guys would NOT want to try it. It. Was. Gross. Never making it again.

Tonight I made fajitas. Now... this is part cook this not that and part Giada De Laurentiis.



Cook this! Not that! Marinade Version. (I did not use this version)
You'll need:
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts


Giada version. (the one I DID use)
You'll need:
1/2 cup OJ
1/4 cup EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil for those who don't watch Rachel Ray)
2 large limes, zested and juiced
1/4 cup agave nectar or 3 tbsp brown sugar (I used the sugar)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning (I used sea salt)
2 boneleess skinless chicken thighs (we used breasts)
1 (12-16 oz) skirt of flank steak (we only used chicken)

The rest of the ingredients I used:
1 tbsp canola oil (I used EVOO)
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 onions, sliced (I only used one)

Marinade:
In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients (which ever you choose to use). Pour the mixture into a 1 gallon-size resealable bag. Add the chicken (and other meat you want) tothe bag. Cook This! says to marinate for and hour. Giada says to do 4 hours. I did it over night.

Put a grill pan over medium-high heat (we used a george forman haha). Obviously remove the chicken from the bag and place on grill. (SAVE THE MARINADE per Giada) Grill the chicken 6-8 minutes on each side or until center is no longer pink.



In a separate pan add oil, onions, and bell peppers. Cook until charred and carmelized (about 10 minutes)



In a sauce pan add the left over marinade and simmer for 5 minutes until it slightly thickens.


Add chicken, veggies, and marinade. Toss. Enjoy with warm corn tortillas, sour cream, and whatever else you want!



Cook this! Not that! damage: 490 calories. 19 g fat (3.5 saturated) 900 mg sodium.

Giada damage? Unknown, but who cares! I combined the recipes and it was the bomb.

No comments: